Ortho-K Lens Care Products
We recommend the following ortho-k lens care products and solutions to use with your Orthokeratology lenses:
- Soleko Platinum or AOSept Plus hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution
- Menicon Progent deep cleaner
- Hylo Forte preservative-free lubricating eye drops
- Rigid suction cup lens remover (small size)
- Sterile alcohol wipes
The above products are available in store and online.
Orthokeratology (ortho-k) Lens Care Recommendations
BED TIME (15 minutes before sleep)
1. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap.
2. Remove your lenses from the storage case. The right lens will be in the side marked R. The left lens will be in the side marked L . (You may choose to wash them in sterile saline rinsing solution after taking them out of the case if you wish)
3. Inspect the lenses then insert lenses into each eye. Fill the bowl of the lenses with 2-3 drops of Hylo Forte (For high prescriptions fill the bowl of the lenses all the way to the top). Make sure the right lens goes in the right eye and left lens goes in the left eye. Check to make sure there are no bubbles.
5. Tip out the old solution that is remaining in the case, and dry the case with a tissue. Let the case air dry.
5. Check your vision by covering each eye to ensure lenses are in the correct position.
6. Close your eyes and go to sleep.
MORNING (when you wake up)
1. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap.
2. Put a drop of Hylo Forte into both eyes to float the lenses.
3. Move the lenses while they are in your eye to loosen the lenses.
4. Remove your lenses.
5. Insert the lenses in the case provided.
6. Fill the case with the Soleko Platinum or AO Sept solution to the line.
7. Store your lenses in your case for a minimum of 6 hours to disinfect.
8. Clean your suction cup remover with a fresh alcohol wipe before storing it.
NEVER use any tap water to clean or rinse your lenses or lens cases.
Always wash your hands before handling your contact lenses. Do not use hand sanitiser as it contains alcohol and will burn your eyes!
Daily Care of Ortho-K Lenses
Soleko Platinum Hydrogen Peroxide solution is what we recommend as it has the strongest sterilisation of all products on the market currently. It is important that you clean your lenses immediately after removal. Once the lenses are inside the case, fill up until the line indicated. Insert the lenses for a minimum of 6 hours. Do not use the Soleko solution in your eyes or to rinse then lenses before insertion. It is important to only use the case provided in the Soleko packs as they are the only cases that will neutralise the solution.
Monthly Care of Orthokeratology Lenses
Once every month you need to clean your lenses with a solution called Menicon Progent. This solution will remove protein build up on the lenses to keep them clean. For heavy depositers, you may be advised to clean your lenses with Progent every 2 weeks.
To use Progent, place your lenses in the lens holders in the lid of the Progent Vial. Mix the Progent A and Progent B vials in the Progent lens case, taking extreme care not to spill the liquid. Place the lid on the vial and gently shake the vial for a few seconds. Soak the lenses for 30 minutes (soaking over 30 mins may discolour lenses). Rinse your lenses and vial thoroughly for at least 15 seconds with Saline. Proceed by cleaning your lenses as you do with Soleklo Platinum when you clean them daily .
Always wash your hands. Never ever use water or distilled water to clean or rinse your lenses. Always replace your lens case every 3 months.
If you ever experience redness, secretion, visual blurring or pain (RSVP) remove your lenses at once and call us on 96358464 for an appointment. We treat all urgent ortho-k queries with urgency.
The DO’s and DON’T’s of Orthokeratology Lens Wear
DO add a rewetting drop like Hylo Forte before removing your contact lenses.
DO remove all eye makeup before inserting any contact lenses.
DO follow your optometrist’s instructions for lens care and use only recommended solutions. DO keep your contact lens case clean. Replace the case when buying new solution.
DO instill Hylo Forte in your eyes before inserting your OrthoK lenses.
DO handle lenses with care to prevent breakage or warpage.
DO remove your lenses and consult us, if you are experience redness, itching, irritation or pain in your eyes.
DON’T touch the tip of your bottles with your fingertips or touch your eye with the bottle tip when instilling lubricating drops.
DON’T hold a these lens by the edges. Hold it front to back.
DON’T slide these lenses across a flat surface.
DON’T use saliva to wet your lenses. Your mouth is full of bacteria and you can cause a serious eye infection. DON’T use makeup while wearing these lenses.
DON’T remove these lenses without instilling Hylo Forte drops before removal
Ensure your lenses are properly cleaned and rinsed prior to re-insertion into your eyes.
Menicare Progent is our recommended monthly deep cleaning to remove protein lens deposits on your OK lenses.
If you have any questions or concerns about cleaning or handling your OK lenses, please call our clinic and speak to our eye care professional.